School History

Sacred Heart School was built by the first Parish Priest, Tom Linnane.

With a growing population of young families, Father Linnane saw the need for a Catholic school to be built alongside the Sacred Heart Parish Church. Father Linnane, with the support of the parishioners, bought three blocks of heavily timbered land adjacent to the church in Coolgardie Street. By November 1951 the school was completed, at a cost of 2200 pounds.

On the 21st December 1952, Sacred Heart School was opened and blessed by Archbishop Redmond Prindiville.

The Sisters of St Joseph of the Apparition were the first order to take residence with an enrolment of sixty-five students, catering for year one to year ten classes. By 1973 secondary students were no longer enrolled at the school.Over the next twenty years, the Sisters of Joseph of the Apparition time was filled with extraordinary stories.

The sisters were renowned for receiving excellent reports from the Archdiocesan Inspector in Christian Doctrine and also by the State Government Schools Inspectors.

In order to increase enrolment numbers and to showcase the great skills and work of the students, the sisters held open days for the community. Choirs, percussion bands and recitals of poetry all led up to a full-length pantomime, Aladdin, being performed to the delight of the Hills community. What an extraordinary feat by so few!

The sisters extended their apostolic activities to the neighbouring township of Chidlow Well, and “eight little bushies received their first communion with six other children receiving a refresher course, with all of them turning up for the Christmas Day mass.”

Sacred Heart School has a rich school history

Parts of the original buildings still remain to this day.

In 1975 the sisters had to make the sad decision to leave Mundaring and move to Kalamunda.

In the same year, the Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart accepted the role of educating the children in Mundaring and the surrounding districts. They continued with the high standards of excellence in education, encompassing the arts with many young aspiring pianists ‘banging’ on the piano. Sporting events were fun yet in serious competition with the local schools. By 1985 the Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart found it necessary to withdraw from the school and the first lay principal was appointed.

In 1988 two new classrooms were built for the year one and year two students. These were blessed and opened by Father Francis Dillon. Two years later, the original convent was refurbished to become a much needed pre-primary classroom and a Parish Meeting Room. Father Vincent Conroy officially opened and blessed these rooms in June of the same year.

These were blessed and opened by Father Francis Dillon. Two years later, the original convent was refurbished to become a much needed pre-primary classroom and a Parish Meeting Room. Father Vincent Conroy officially opened and blessed these rooms in June of the same year.

By 1996 there was a need for a new library and a kindergarten centre to accommodate the four-year-olds and update the now overdue library room.

These buildings were specifically designed by Bruce Callow and Associates to retain the integrity of the existing stone buildings and were blessed by Bishop Healy in 1997.

The beautiful stained glass window, now in the Sacred Heart School library.

In 2005, Stage 5 of our Capital Development Plan was approved by the Schools Resource Committee to renovate and rebuild the school. The Architect selected for the task was Bruce Callow and Associates and the Building Company chosen was EMCO. Financially the capital works in both the refurbishments and the new buildings would not have been possible without the generosity of the Australian Government, the State Government of Western Australia, Catholic Development Fund and the Parish and School Community. We thank them for their donations and commitment in providing magnificent facilities to support the staff in partnership with the parents, in educating our future, the children.

The Architect selected for the task was Bruce Callow and Associates and the Building Company chosen was EMCO. Financially the capital works in both the refurbishments and the new buildings would not have been possible without the generosity of the Australian Government, the State Government of Western Australia, Catholic Development Fund and the Parish and School Community. We thank them for their donations and commitment in providing magnificent facilities to support the staff in partnership with the parents, in educating our future, the children.

The Federal Government’s initiative through ‘Building the Education Revolution’ (BER) was a wonderful bonus for Sacred Heart School.

The funding enabled the school community to include an Art Room and an ICT Room to provide dedicated learning areas for the arts and information communication technology for parents, staff and students. Senator Mark Bishop, Senator for Western Australia, officially opened the new and refurbished capital works of Sacred Heart School in April 2011. The Blessing and Dedication ceremony was performed by Reverend Monsignor Brian O’Loughlin.

Our history includes so much building and re-building. However,

“We cannot seek achievement for ourselves and forget about progress and prosperity for our community… Our ambitions must be broad enough to include the aspirations and needs of others, for their sakes and our own. For a community to be whole and healthy, it must be based on people’s love and concern for each other.” (unknown source)

The history of Sacred Heart School dates back to 1961

A plaque on the wall of the chapel dated 22nd Jan 1933.